Hit Frequency and Other Features of Slots at an Arabic Online CasinoCasino
If you're new to online gambling, you probably think of video slots as fun games of chance that you can play without worrying about the technical aspects. To play a round in a slot, you need to set your stake, choose a few paylines to participate in the game and click Spin. Once the reels stop spinning, you'll immediately see the result - whether a winning combination has landed or not. Although slots are simple games, there are some technical characteristics to take into consideration. While RTP (return-to-player ratio) is the most common and is kind of a metric for how generous a slot is, there is also the hit frequency. Jumping ahead of the curve, we should say that this parameter almost does not depend on RTP. In fact, the hit frequency (rate) is what is determined by the dispersion (volatility) of a video slot. The better the hit rate, the more often you will receive payouts. Although it seems simple at first glance, there are some subtleties that will be discussed later in this post.
What is Hit Frequency?
In simple terms, hit frequency is a term used by casino game developers to indicate how often an online slot will show winning combinations. For example, if hit frequency is 33%, it means that literally every third game round will be a winning one. Obviously, the maximum value of the hit rate cannot be higher than 100%. Also, a 33% hit rate is no guarantee that every third attempt will be successful. It is like tossing a coin, you may only get heads or tails a few times in a row, even though there is a 50% chance of each event happening.
Note that the hit frequency can vary depending on how many paylines are involved in the game. Obviously, the more paylines are activated, the higher the probability that 3 or more matching icons will be considered a payable combination. The hit rate is determined experimentally, e.g. by the results of 1,000 rounds played in a row. Suppose you made 1,000 spins in a row and 333 of them were winning. This corresponds to a hit rate of about 33%. The hit frequency is a parameter to be taken into consideration when choosing a slot game. Why? We will tell you about it further on.
Hit Frequency and Volatility
One of the online slot parameters that are often in the limelight is volatility (or variance, which is the same thing). Volatility is a parameter that describes two important things. Firstly, how often winning combinations will land on the slot's reels. Secondly, how high these combinations will pay out. So, hit frequency is a parameter closely related to volatility. The term was coined to give players a better idea of what they can expect from a particular video slot at an Arabic online casino.
While you'll find volatility being displayed on a scale of 1 to 10 on some websites, it's easier to orient yourself with the following variations on the volatility of slots:
- Low volatility. This corresponds to a high hit frequency, with many of your attempts hitting the target. On the other hand, low volatility slots can be unimpressive with the size of the prizes paid out for landing winning combinations. You can also indirectly estimate the low volatility of a slot, by checking the maximum prize value. For example, most of the low-volatility online slots in Arabic online casinos have a maximum multiplier of x500x1,000.
- High volatility. It's not hard to guess that high volatility video slots work the other way around. Firstly, you'll rarely see winning combinations land on the reels. Secondly, any combination can yield a really big win. Generally, progressive jackpot slots are the most volatile casino games.
- Medium volatility. Generally speaking, slots designed for casual players are of medium volatility. They are characterized by a moderate hit frequency and not overly impressive payouts.
So, a slot with a low hit frequency (and high volatility accordingly) may seem unattractive to you, but it is capable of some really big payouts. On the other hand, a low-volatility title will please you with a high hit rate, but most prizes will barely cover your betting losses.
Why is Hit Frequency Important?
As a gambling enthusiast who only comes to an Arabic online casino occasionally just for the fun of it, you may not go into detail as to what the volatility, hit rate or RTP are. There is nothing wrong with that, as these technical parameters are ignored by the vast majority of casino players. However, if you want to develop your own online slots strategy, then always pay attention to volatility (and hit rate if it is listed), and here is why:
- Knowing these parameters will help you find a game that suits your gambling budget. Being overly wasteful is a bad habit for a gambler, even if you have an almost unlimited bankroll. Moreover, if you have only a small amount, it is better to choose a low-volatility video slot and start small to enjoy the game as long as possible.
- Low-volatility slots are a better choice for those who use betting systems such as Martingale, D'almbert, Paroli and others. Designed for roulette in the first place, these strategies also work well for slots. Just as you should make Outside Bets in roulette, it’s a good idea to bet on low-volatility slot machines in order to reduce the risk of big losses.
- High-volatility slots are designed for those who are dreaming of that big life-changing payout. If you want to win really big, then low and medium volatility slots aren't the best option, because their payout potential is much lower.
To assess the hit frequency and volatility level of a particular game, play it in free demo mode. So, just head over to the VipArabClub website, choose a title you like and click the 'Play for Free' button. The key advantage of the demo mode is that you don't risk your hard-earned cash when you try out a video slot. However, keep in mind that your winnings are not available for withdrawal.
Some Features of Hit Frequencies to Be Aware of
Although hit frequency itself is a very informative parameter, there are some myths and prejudices about it that are worth busting:
- The hit rate is a hard-programmed parameter that cannot be changed by the casino at its discretion. Slots were designed to make a profit online casinos due to RTP, which in any case is less than 100%. So, it makes no sense for the casino to change the hit frequency and other parameters to cheat players.
- The hit frequency makes no sense if you are playing short game sessions. We often recommend not playing too long progressive jackpot slots, as lengthy playing sessions can deplete your gaming budget in the blink of an eye.
- Almost any betting system based on hit rate only adds an extra dimension to the game, while not making your winning chances higher. However, using a Martingale betting system, for example, it is better to play low-volatility slots and start with a minimum bet to avoid going over your bankroll.
Finally, hit frequency is important if you use casino bonuses. Any bonus in an Arabic casino is subject to wagering requirements. Let's say you got KWD 10 in the form of a bonus with an x40 wagering requirement. You must wager at least KWD 10 x 40 = KWD 400 to meet the wagering requirement. Before you activate the bonus, read the terms and conditions carefully considering the games you can play to meet the wagering requirements. It is best if that list includes low-volatility slots with a high RTP, as you are unlikely to lose too much by playing them.
Think of casino games as tightly programmed applications that operate according to a specific algorithm driven by several inputs - RTP, volatility level and hit frequency. Regardless of whether the slot is popular with online casino goers or is idle for hours on end, the programming remains the same. So, don't fall prey to payout frequency myths and take into consideration the volatility level first to have an idea of the winning potential and how often coveted combinations will land on the reels.